Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To read or not to read: That has never been the question! ...'til this year!

The first grading period of the second semester of my first year of teaching (phew!) is almost done.  There's talk of possible layoff but also of adding more sections of English next year, so who knows.  I have until March 15th to hear the news.  I don't get a raise next year, and I don't suck (at least I hope I don't), so I feel somewhat secure.

This reading thing had been going really well!  I love reading all this young adult fiction and then gabbing with my kids about wizards and things.  Okay, actually NONE of my students have read Harry Potter and are not interested in the slightest.  Thankfully, I can still talk Twilight with a few of them.  I've been keeping up with my resolution, but it's been an excuse that has caused my grading pile to grow to an obscene height!  I have not grading ANYTHING besides the couple of tests and qizzes I've given.  I was supposed to complete about six hours of work over break and have just started it today.  It's due next Tuesday!  Too much reading!  So, since I read Crank this weekend (See "One-Book-a-Week in Review" at the top for my less than impressed review), which gives me TWO books for last week, I'm going to admit now that HP Year 5 will not get finished until next week.  Way too much grading.  So Crank counts for this week, okay?  Okay, good.

Update on my ear (see previous post): I went back to the doctor yesterday.  He said it's still infected but definitely better.  I had a fever and Strep-like sore throat, which completely confused them since I was already taken antibiotics, but that has seemed to subside.  He put me on another antibiotic, so hopefully by next week I'll be good to go.  It only hurts when I burp, cough, sneeze, or yell at my sixth period class.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe your students haven't read Harry Potter! You should make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update on your health! And hooray for reading so many books! That's awesome.

    I miss you, and hopefully we'll see each other soon!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis