Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year's Resolution: Book of the Week

I am a HUGE hypocrite when it comes to being an English teacher.  I love, love, LOVE the concept of books, of reading and writing, but my attention span is so short.  I love movies because the good ones can tell a complete story with stunning visuals in a nice, compact 2 hours.  Books take days!  And my own imagination!  It makes me head hurt.  This year, however, I've decided to make a change.  This is a huge challenge to myself, but if I stick to it, I know I will be handsomely rewarded with too many characters to count. 

New Year's Resolution: I will read one new book a week* for a year. 
Larger books can take up to two weeks, such as any over 500 pages.  So that's approximately 30-50 books in one year.

I'm already nervous.  I am creating a bulletin board for my classroom right now with my fabulous new last name, some pictures of Graham and me, some notes from students, and the book of the week.  I will post it up on this each week as well, and if you've read that book or have any suggestions on books I should read this year, please let me know!

I am starting with the first Harry Potter book.  I read the Twilight books last year because I thought it would make me a better English teacher.  I did a little.  I have tried to read Harry Potter three other times and I always get too bored.  I am going go make it through this time, though.  I promised my sister I'd have all the books read in time for the final movie this summer.  With this new plan, I should be there in no time!

3 comments:

  1. Great resolution! I wish I could commit to reading so many books. I'm hoping just to read one a week!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be AWESOME, what a pleathora of information in these new books you will read :) Also, I know this is your first day back in the classroom after your 3 week break, I hope it's going well :) PS - I gave you a 'Stylish Blogger Award' in my most recent post :) Happy Monday Cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Im a new follower to you blog from Amanda @ The forever Endeavor... When your done with the HP books.. you should try "The house of night series" & "The immortal series" ...I still have alot of catch-up reading to do on your blog, but so far i really like what I've seen! can't wait to read more! I hope you can stop by and check out our blog as well, and leave a little <3!! :)
    ~Jaimie
    http://legosinmypocket.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis