Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Proof of Happiness: Day 11

A story of something that made you happy this day.



The Story--
Because this post is going up in the morning, (and a story about having prep period making me happy would just be too boring), I will write about what made me happy this weekend.

On Sunday, Graham; Graham's brother, Joel; and I drove to Irvine to celebrate Graham's Great Aunt Jeanne's 90th birthday.  This day was difficult for me.  My own grandmother passed away last Monday at the age of 86, and we were very close. 

From about the age of 3 to 13, I spent every weekday afternoon at her house while my parents worked.  My sister and I spent every summer there, too, playing cards or Guess Who?, watching old VHS tapes over and over again, and hiding rocks as though they were Easter eggs in the backyard clover not having any idea how mad they would make Grandma's gardener.  Grandma came to every softball game, every play performance, every church solo, until her health prevented her from such big events.  She was able to attend neither my college graduation nor Lauren's high school graduation due to the heat.  She was so sad to miss them.  I started dating Graham three years ago this Thursday, as my relationship with Graham began to grow, he started to build a relationship with her as well.  He did not have a grandmother figure for much of his life, and my grandma welcomed him with open arms, literally.  During my bridal shower, she insisted on speaking up to the whole group: "That Graham, I just have to say, gives the best hugs."  (Nice and loud for all to hear, of course.)  Grandma was able to attend my wedding in December, which meant the absolute world to her.  I was so glad beyond words that she was there, too.  Now knowing that this would be one of the last times I would see my grandma, I wish I would have stopped by for a few more hugs and a few more pictures before the night was through.

Even though her health was starting to deteriorate, her passing was a complete shock to my family.  My aunt spoke to her at 4:00 on Monday and she was as cheerful and well as ever.  Then when my mom went to visit at 7:00 and couldn't wake her, we learned from the paramedics that she must have passed a few hours earlier.  Mom noticed her TV had not been turned to the news channel at 5:00, something she never misses.  This means my aunt spoke to her within minute of her passing.  She simply nodded off for a usual quick nap, her book in her hand, and is now with the Lord.  All things considered, this is the absolute best way she could have gone, "the way she deserved to go" as my mom put it.  It was so sad, but my family and Graham and I have found joy in all the memories we shared with her during her long, full life.

I chose to go with Graham to his family's celebration because I learned this past week that one must take every available opportunity to visit with and hug the ones they love.  I avoided visiting my grandma many times and regret that entirely now.  It was such a blessing to meet these extended branches of my husband's family, to hug these inspirational women, and to cherish my husband's relationships with his relatives first hand.  Graham's great aunt is a lot like my grandma: strong, compassionate, a little feisty, and a true woman of God.  Seeing all those people show their love to Aunt Jeanne made my heart so warm, not only because this wonderful woman is now a part of my own family, but because my grandma would have had the same response from all of us on her 90th birthday.  Along with my cousin Mark, I will be speaking at her funeral on Friday.  I am still looking for the right words to say, but I know they will revolve around her unconditional love that she had for us during my childhood and now adulthood.  I wish you could have known the wonderful woman that she was.  Your life would truly be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis